Sunday, June 28, 2015

Natokalau (Village)


The arrival to the village was a little wet, but still welcoming. My only wish is that we arrived at the village in the daytime so we could actually see the layout. The welcoming ceremony was kicked off by dances from the men in the village, and then the children in the village. After that there was a kava ceremony which was the second time we had kava on the trip. Following the kava ceremony was dinner that Angie’s mother had prepared for us. It was delicious except for the fact that i didn't realize the fish still had bones in it and violently stabbed my mouth with them. The celebration continued with more kava and dancing until late in the night. The first night in the village was welcoming and so much fun. The next morning was fun because I could finally see where everything was and I got to meet all of the people. The first full day in the village was full of adventuring. The first task I completed was collecting gravel to make cement for the community center we helped build. after doing that wicky took Chase, Elizabeth, Claire, and I to the Rockpool and a few other places to take some great photos. Then we went back to the village for lunch and what not. I somehow ended up holding a chicken, and fell in love with how soft they are. Then dinner came and after there was more dancing and kava. By that time, I was sick of drinking kava and decided to politely declined it when they offered it to me. On the second day we mostly helped put the foundation up for the community center in the village.
Community Center foundation worksite.


After cementing cinder blocks together, some villagers took me, Grace, and Alex to go collect Bananas and Coconuts. Just within one day, I had drank 5 full coconuts. The hike was long but fun, even though my knees were hurting and I was on the verge of tears. From then on the nightly routine was the same for the rest of our stay in the Village. The third day had come around and i was feeling a bit under the weather because of my knees, so i just rested most of the day. I was being stupid and decided to go back go the rockpool again with Grace, Katie, and Jamison. My knees were in so much pain that Jamison was nice enough to carry me back to the village. Then wicky wanted to take a bunch of us to the kava farm, but Madiha and I stayed in the village and talked. We ended up going and talking to Angie who was making Roti, a traditional indian bread. Somehow, I ended up making Roti for hours with Angie.
Angie making roti.
I can honestly say that moment was the closest I have ever felt to home. I normally make Roti with my Grandma when I go to visit her and being there with Angie and her mom felt like I was with my Grandma. The night again, ended with Kava and dancing, but it was mostly dancing since we were leaving the next morning. The last day in the village was the hardest day for everyone. It was full of emotional pain. Leaving the village was heartbreaking. they sang us a farewell song and everyone bursted into tears. even me. I miss nana (Angie’s mom) so much.
Nana making food for the workers.
She was like family to me and I will never forget her. The people of the village Natokalau know how to make people feel at home and I hope to visit them within the next 10 years. 

No comments:

Post a Comment